Sunday 14 August 2011

New Venue, Levenwick Bouldering


I recently found this new area by chance when my wife Claire was doing some research on her family tree at the cemetary in Levenwick. I took a stroll along the headland and found an overhanging wall with a shallow cave at one end. It was a little grubby with some signs of seepage but looked like there'd be a good number of problems. I didn't have much time to look around so I promised myself a return visit before too long.

I went back last week for a short session to try one or two of the problems and arranged to meet up with a boulderer from Italy who was in the islands on holiday. The place didn't disappoint! We climbed the lower tier which comprises of a short slab section then goes into a long, low roof section, the entire wall is about 20m long. We climbed 5 problems altogether up to V7 on excellent compact sandstone and with many more hard problems to go at I'm looking forward to the next visit.

Valerio on 'The Italian Job' V7/font 7a+

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Paul, looking forward to having a proper look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing place, i can't wait to come back :)

    ReplyDelete